University History Museum Commentary
Distinguished Leaders, Guests and Teachers, Welcome to the University History Museum of Shanghai Lixin University of Accounting and Finance. It is a great pleasure to go over the history and glory of our university with you. The University History Museum consists of four parts: Part 1 “Master of accounting establishes the spirit of Lixin”, which exhibits the bumpy and extraordinary life of Mr. Pan Xulun, founder of Lixin; Part 2 “Hardship is the best preparation for success”, which exhibits the school-running history of the two universities; Part 3 “Make every effort to develop after re-opening”, which exhibits the development history of the two universities in the 1980’s before their merger; Part 4 “Form powerful combination to forge ahead”, which exhibits the further integration and advancement of the university founded by the merger of two universities.
Ninety years of honesty-centered school running history creates a gold brand. Regarding research and practice as equally important for over two centuries, Lixin has cultivated thousands of talents.
Recalling the past, it is years of tortuous adventures and struggles that we remember. From Lixin Accounting Continuation School born in the national commercial wave in 1928, to private Lixin Technical College of Accounting founded during the anti-Japanese war in 1937; from East China Banking School and Shanghai Banking School founded in the great tide of New China construction, to Shanghai Finance School discontinued in 1969 due to the Great Cultural Revolution; from Lixin Technical College of Accounting and Shanghai Technical College of Finance reviving in 1978 due to the reform and opening-up policy, to Shanghai Lixin University of Commerce and Shanghai Finance University which upgraded to degree-awarding institutions in 2003, to Shanghai Lixin University of Accounting and Finance established in 2016, for ninety years, the university has always insisted on the honesty-based school running philosophy, regarded research and practice as equally important, and implemented open and flexible school running mode. Having endured great hardships and passed down the spirit from generation to generation, Lixin has made itself a university with distinctive characteristics.
The nation takes history as a mirror. The university takes history to reveal its aspirations. On the ninetieth anniversary of the University, Lixin decided to build a university history museum to memorize scholars of the past, continue the culture succession, exhibit the development and achievements of the university, summarize the school-running philosophy and spirit and stimulate the integrated development. Furthermore, it aimed to encourage the later generations to keep their original intention and missions in mind, build a high-level application-oriented finance university according to the national conditions and further contribute to the great rejuvenation of the Chinese nation.
How beautiful the school-name is! How great the school motto is!
ONE. Master of accounting establishes the spirit of Lixin
Mr. Pan Xulun is an outstanding accountant and educator in modern China. Having been engaged in accounting for over sixty years, Mr. Pan Xulun devotes himself to the reformation of accounting and cultivation of accounting talents. As the founder of Lixin, a “Three-in-One” accounting complex that integrates accounting firm, school and press, Pan was called “Father of Modern Chinese Accounting” due to his indelible contributions to the development of modern accounting as well as social and economic development in China.
Experienced great twists and turns in early life
Born in a family of scholar in Yixing, Jiangsu in July 1893, Pan Xulun was smart and studious with outstanding academic record since childhood.
Mr. Pan Xulun, former president and founder of Lixin, was born in a family of scholar in Shushan Town, Yixing, Jiangsu in 1893. Pan Xulun was smart and studious with outstanding academic record since childhood. Pan studied in an old-style private school until 12. In 1905, Pan entered Dongpo Elementary School (established based on former Dongpo Academy in local area). After graduation from elementary school, Pan was admitted into Shanghai Pudong Middle School, where he made outstanding academic performance and was appreciated by president Huang Yanpei of Shanghai Pudong Middle School. Right before his graduation, however, he was dismissed from school for being involved in a protest against a teacher by handing in blank examination paper. So, in 1911, Pan transferred to Changzhou Middle School. (With a long history, Changzhou Middle School has cultivated a number of celebrities, including Qu Qiubai and Qianmu). After having graduated from middle school, Pan was admitted to the radio transmitting-receiving class of Nanjing Naval Academy. After completing the course, he was dispatched to a naval vessel as a warrant officer who took in charge of radio transmitting and receiving. Then, he interrupted his military status and worked as an interpreter for a mint, a teacher in a rural elementary school and a teacher in Zhenjiang Middle School, no fixed position after several twists and turns. He was once obsessed with gambling. The whole family worried about him so much. During the Spring Festival in 1919, Pan had a life-changing chance when he visited Zhou, a classmate from elementary school who went home to visit his family. Zhou told Pan that he thought he lacked education and wanted to raise money to study in France. What Zhou said greatly shocked Pan. He couldn’t fall asleep that night. “Zhou is from a poor family. He is older than me. He doesn’t have the gift I have. But he has such an ambition. What about me? I wasted my time and my life, making no effort to seek progress. I should feel sorry for myself!” Pan made up his mind to quit gambling and to study abroad.
1) In 1908, Pan Xulun was admitted to Shanghai Pudong Middle School. The photo is the office scene of Pudong School.
2) In 1911, Pan Xulun transferred to Changzhou Middle School due to “blank examination paper movement”.
3) Pan Xulun in 1918
Travel across the ocean to study
After graduated from Shanghai St.John’s University in the summer of 1921, Pan Xulun won the scholarship of Nanyang Brothers Tobacco Co. Ltd. and went to study in the U.S. Through 3 years of hard work, Pan obtained an MBA degree from Harvard University and doctor’s degree of political economy from Columbia University.
The proficiency in foreign language was a precondition for studying abroad, so Pan Xulun sought help from Mr. Huang Yanpei, former president of Pudong Middle School. Recommended by Huang Yanpei, Pan went to Shanghai St. John’s University to study English as an external student. Founded by the U.S. Christian church in Shanghai, St. John’s University was a all-English university. Pan was not good at English, but he was the most hard-working student in the school. Except for three meals, he immersed himself in books all day. Effort will be rewarded. Before long, Pan became one of the top two students in terms of academic performance and was directly accelerated to a senior student, creating a precedent in St. John’s University. In the graduation examination, Pan was second to none in all subjects and won the only gold medal in the English essay contest in the university. In the summer of 1921, Pan Xulun obtained the bachelor's degree of arts in St. John’s University.
That summer, Pan Xulun also won the scholarship of Nanyang Brothers Tobacco Co. Ltd. via examination and went to the U.S. to study in Harvard University. Harvard University assigned heavy schoolwork. Pan worked extremely hard round the clock, even in Sunday and holidays, and abandoned all entertainments. For two years, he never watched a movie and never had a meal in any restaurant. From early morning to midnight, he spent any minute either in the dorm he rented or the library. Sometimes, he even had no time to cook and just appeased his hunger with a piece of bread and a cup of warm water. After two years of hard study in Harvard University, Pan obtained a degree of Master of Business Administration (MBA). Then, he spent another year in Columbia University studying political economy and obtained doctor’s degree.
1) In 1919, introduced by Mr. Huang Yanpei, Pan Xulun went to study in St. John’s University as an external student.
2) In 1921, Pan Xulun graduated from St. John’s University with excellent academic performance.
3) St. John’s University’s List of Graduates with the name of Pan Xulun on it.
4) In September 1921, the application for Harvard Business School filed by Pan Xulun.
5) In the Autumn of 1923, Pan Xulun went to Columbia University for a doctoral degree.
6) Group photo of Pan Xulun and alumni of Harvard University Alumni Association Shanghai Branch in 1936.
Devote himself to accounting and found Lixin
In 1924, Pan Xulun returned to China with the wish to “save the nation by education”. He devoted himself to the spread of modern accounting and cultivation of new accounting talents in China and founded Lixin, a “Three-in-One” accounting complex.
In 1929, Pan Xulun and Wang Zhishen, a banker, jointly established “Siyuan Education Foundation” (Chinese Education 1929)
While studying in Harvard University, Pan Xulun foresaw the increasing demand for modern accounting talents in China. Therefore, he chose to study accounting-related subjects to the great extent, thus taking the first step and laying a firm foundation for his studying of accounting.
In 1924, Pan Xulun graduated and returned to China with the wish to “save the nation by education” and “save the nation by engaging in industry”. After coming back to Shanghai, he introduced and taught western accounting in several universities in succession. As the earliest promoter of new bookkeeping system and the founder of modern accounting in China, Pan is called the Father of Modern Chinese Accounting.
In January 1927, to improve the old-style bookkeeping which was then prevailing in the industrial and commercial circles, enterprises had an urgent demand for accountants. In light of this, Pan resigned from school and independently set up “Pan Xulun Accounting Firm”, which was then renamed “Lixin Accounting Firm” by reference to the famous phrases in The Analects of Confucius. From being engaged in accounting business to compiling books and establishing accounting school, Pan gradually started to build Lixin a “three-in-one” accounting complex that integrates accounting firm, school and accounting press.
To develop business and expand Lixin’s reputation, Pan Xulun actively participated in all kinds of social activities to get in touch with business people in Chinese and foreign industrial and commercial circles. He used to be an officer of Nanjing National Government, but then he leaved office and returned to Shanghai because he hated the bureaucratic style of work.
Pan Xulun had not only great attainments in accounting and auditing, but also conducted in-depth researches in such fields as finance, tax, economics and education.
1) Plan of Lixin Accounting Firm
2) Chronicle of Events of Lixin Accounting Firm
3) To cultivate new bookkeeping talents, in the Spring of 1928, Pan Xulun founded Lixin Accounting Continuation School based on the bookkeeping training class of Lixin Accounting Firm
4) In 1941, Pan Xulun founded Lixin Accounting Press at No.16, Linsen Road, Chongqing. The photo is the group photo of early Lixin publishers.
The old horse in stable is yet dreaming of heroic exploits
After the implementation of reform and opening-up policy, Pan Xulun continued to be an active practitioner in the field of accounting.
In the 1950’s, Pan Xulun suffered from significant setbacks. Then, he kept his beards to show his moral courage and pursuit. In the late 1970’s, the identity of Pan Xulun as CPPCC member of Shanghai was recovered. As proposed by Pan Xulun, Shanghai Accounting Association, the first accounting association in China, was founded in 1979.
1) In 1957, Pan Xulun grew a beard to show his ambition and dedication to accounting.
2) In January 1981, the first accounting firm in China was founded with Pan Xulun acting as the first chairman.
3) Pan Xulun was delivering a speech in the editorial committee of Lixin accounting books
4) Pan Xulun, at the age of 90, received Lixin alumni at his home
5) On August 13, 1979, Hong Kong Ta Kung Pao published an open letter written by Pan Xulun to Wang Yunwu, the former president of the Executive Yuan of the Kuomintang government
A simple, thrifty and charming life
Pan Xulun devoted himself to accounting and accounting education in China. He was the creator of new-style bookkeeping method, sower of accounting talents, pioneer in the “industry-university-research” integration of modern accounting and initiator of Lixin’s culture of credibility.
Pan set up “Siyuan Education Foundation” for Nanyang Tobacco Corporation, which used to subsidize him. In 1937, he donated 60,000 Yuan to establish Lixin Technical College of Accounting. In 1980, he donated his lifelong savings for the rebuilding of the school and set up Pan Xulun Scholarship. Pan invested all books he collected and all his royalty on books into the accounting education. However, Pan lived a very simple and thrifty life.
On Nov.8, 1985, Pan Xulun died of an illness at the age of 92. As a leading authority in accounting and a great figure in Chinese academic and accounting field, Pan Xulun will surely have his name and Lixin recorded in the development history of accounting and the history of modern education in China.
1) In 1937, to establish Lixin Technical College of Accounting, president Pan Xulun donated 60,000 Yuan.
2) In 1929, Pan Xulun and banker Wang Zhishen jointly established “Siyuan Education Foundation” (Chinese Education 1929)
3) After the school was moved back to Shanghai from Chongqing, Pan Xulun donated his residence on Changle Road to the school as temporary school building
4) Photo of Pan Xulun and his wife Zhang Huisheng (Zhang Huisheng was the first female certified public accountant in China)
5) Residence of Pan Xulun and his wife Zhang Huisheng
6) Photo of Pan Xulun’s extended family on the 90th birthday of Pan in 1981
7) Photo of Pan Xulun and his daughter Pan Qizhan (left) and Pan Ping (right) in 1984
Quotations of Pan Xulun
An accountant should have impartial character, sincere attitude, incorruptible integrity and hardworking spirit to advance his credit and perform his duties.
Knowledge, experiences and skills are all essential qualities of an accountant, but what is the most important is definitely morality.
Achievements might be made after one works hard to run a school. Special talents might be cultivated by combining theory with practices.
For an accountant, only full score is qualified. One point less is below the standard.
From the society, to the society. From the accounting, to the accounting. From the students, to the students.
1) Li Lanqing, former Member of the Standing Committee of the Political Bureau of the CPC Central Committee and Vice Premier of the State Council
2) Rong Yiren, former Vice President of the People's Republic of China
3) Lei Jieqiong, former Vice Chairman of the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress and Vice Chairmen of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference National Committee
4) Sun Qimeng, former Vice Chairman of the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress and Chairman of the Central Committee of China Democratic National Construction Association
5) Fei Xiaotong, former Vice Chairman of the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress and Vice Chairmen of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference National Committee
6) Wang Bingqian, former Vice Chairman of the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress and Minister of Finance
TWO. Hardship is the best preparation for success
Lixin and Shanghai Finance School were founded in the 1920’s and 1950’s respectively. The two schools were born in conformity with the economic trend and grew with the fate of the nation. Through years of hard work and joint efforts, they had not only cultivated thousands of talents who made contributions to the social and economic construction, but also created a characteristic education brand and precious spiritual wealth. 1928-1969
The very beginning of school running
(Lixin Accounting Continuation School 1928-1956)
Start of Lixin (1928-1937)
In the early 20th century, with the rapid development of national industry and commerce, Chinese old-style accounting could no longer satisfy the demands. To cultivate new accounting talents, in the Spring of 1928, Pan Xulun and his colleagues officially founded Lixin Accounting Continuation School based on the bookkeeping training class of Lixin Accounting Firm.
1) The school was initially located at No. 452, Jiangxi Road and later relocated to No. 18, Jixiangli, Henan Road.
2) Breaking the feudal traditional concept of looking up to men and down on women in the old society, the school recruited female students
3) The social impact of Lixin Continuation School continuously expanded. By the Spring of 1937, the accumulated number of students had reached 4,783.
Make joint efforts to gain reputation
(Private Lixin Technical College of Accounting 1937-1952)
Early years of the technical college (1937—1942)
The continuation school only offered a few short-period courses which are clear and easy to understand. It couldn’t cultivate senior accountant. With the joint efforts and Pan Xulun and his colleagues, Private Lixin Technical College of Accounting was founded in August, 1937.
Impacted by the Pacific War, the commercial press with which Lixin cooperated suffered serious loss and could no longer publish books. To print textbooks for school and account books and sheets for industrial and commercial enterprises, “Lixin Accounting Press” was founded in June 1941. So far, the “three-in-one” Lixin accounting business chain, consisting of accounting firm, school and accounting press, was formally established.
1) The school employed noted public figures to constitute the first board of directors.
2) Impacted by the political situation, the school recruited students for the first time in September 1939. The photo was taken in May 1941. Group photo of the earliest students
3) The history of Lixin Technical College of Accounting recorded in Lixin School Journal
War Times (1942—1946)
After outbreak of the War of Resistance, to ensure the continuation of Lixin, the main body of the school was moved to Beibei, Chongqing in August 1942.
As the Japanese aggression against China spread, Shanghai suffered invasions and attacks one after another, which greatly hindered the school running. To ensure the continuation of Lixin, the school was formally moved to Beibei, Chongqing in August 1942. The period of running school in Beibei was filled with hardships. The school had to raise funds from all aspects and employed entrepreneurs of famous enterprises which moved to Sichuan and local celebrities [Lu Zuofu (General Manager of Minsheng Shipping Company), Gu Yiqun (Secretary General of the General Office of Four-Bank Association), Kang Xinru (General Manager of Sichuan American-Oriental Banking Corporation), Liu Hangchen (President of Sichuan Salt Bank), Su Taiyu (President of Yuhua Cotton Mill), Pan Yangshan (Manager of Yuhua Cotton Mill), Du Meihe (Chongqing Farmers Bank of China), Pang Huailing (Manager of Sichuan Provincial Bank), Zha Jimin (Manager of Daming Dyeing and Weaving Mill), Huang Liangchen (Vice General Manager of Baoyuantong Firm), Wu Gengmei (Manager of Tianyuan Chemical Plant) and Lu Ziying (Head of Beibei Management Bureau) ] as members of the school board.
1) Approved by the Ministry of Education, the school moved to Sichuan in April 1942
2) School buildings of Lixin in Beibei
3) In early 1943, the school built Lixin Building in the urban area of Chongqing. In September the same year, Chongqing Urban Area Class began to recruit students.
4) Group photo of graduate students and teachers of Chongqing Urban Area Class of Lixin Technical College of Accounting in 1946
5) Name list of Lixin teachers in Chongqing in 1943
6) Lixin was beset with difficulties in Chongqing. The photo is a bank overdraft bill signed by Pan Xulun
Rally forces again (1946—1952)
After the victory of the War of Resistance, the school was moved back to Shanghai in May 1946. In February 1947, the school was moved to the newly established Shiziwan Campus on North Xuhong Road. In 1952, due to the national extensive readjustment of higher education, the school was merged into Shanghai University of Finance and Economics.
1) Shiziwan Campus was newly established with the funds raised by the school from several parties. The photo is the Textile Building donated by the textile industry.
2) Group photo of the first graduating class and teachers after moving back to Shanghai
(The front row: fourth from left - Qian Sujun; fifth from left - Li Hongshou; Sixth from left - Chen Qicai; Seventh from left - Pan Xulun; Eighth from left - Chen Wenlin)
3) School teaching schedule in 1950
4) To establish a number of branch schools was one of the characteristics of Lixin. The photo is Guangzhou Branch School.
5) Group photo of Pan Xulun and some teachers in the front of teaching building
6) Colorful campus life
Martyrs from Lixin
Lixin is proud of its glorious revolutionary tradition. During the War of Resistance against Japan and the War of Liberation, many teachers and students from Lixin joined the army to fight against the enemies, making immortal contribution to the national liberation and freedom of people.
1) In 1936, “Lixin Drama Club” was founded. Yu Yin (first from right) and Gu Yelu (second from right) joined the club.
2) Li Jianmo (1907—1945), from Changshu, Jiangsu. In 1931, Gu Zhun founded “Lixin Alumni Association” and Li Jianmo was the principal. In 1933, under the guidance of Gu Zhun, Li Jianmo jointly initiated a Marxism-Leninism learning team “Advancement Club”. In 1935, Gu Zhun and Li Jianmo joined the Communist Party of China successively. In October 1945, Li Jianmo died during the northward withdrawal with New Fourth Army Jiangnan Troop. Li Jianmo was one of the archetypal characters of Guo Jianguo in Sha Jia Bang.
3) Short before the liberation of Shanghai, Lixin alumni and CCP member Zhou Baoxun, Lv Feixun and Huang Bingqian were arrested and later ruthlessly killed by the Kuomintang government because of “Liqun Book and Newspaper Store Case”. (Three photos)
4) In May 1949, Lixin students joined Shanghai Liberation Parade.
5) In June 1949, Group photo of Lixin students before expedition along with East China Military Southward Service Society
Early years of Shanghai Banking School which combined bank and school
(Shanghai Banking School 1952--1958)
After the founding of New China, in order to meet the climax of large-scale economic construction, the People's Bank of China began to cultivate financial talents. In 1952, the People's Bank of China Shanghai Banking School and East China Regional Bank Banking School were separately founded. From 1952 to 1958, the school experienced two phases, namely “establishment and expansion” and “movement and suspension”. In six years, the school had been renamed for four times, People's Bank of China Shanghai Banking School and People's Bank of China Suzhou Banking School successively. It became an important base to cultivate financial talents under the dual leadership of the Head Office of the People's Bank of China and the Ministry of Education.
During such period, to respond to the country's call, the school assigned its graduates to 17 provinces and cities all over the country, mostly in the border areas. In 1958, the school was suspended and reorganized with all resources being transferred to Suzhou. In spite of the restricting historical conditions in the 1950’s and several transitions, the school never compromised in quality of school running and constantly developed itself, having brought up and provided a large number of urgently-needed financial talents for the economic construction of New China.
Each transition of the school in the 1950's, including establishment, merger and migration, was carried out under the unified arrangement of the head office, regional bank and municipal bank of the People's Bank of China. All relevant documents were signed, issued and implemented by the in-service bank president, who also held a concurrent post as the principal of the school. Such one-step management method was simplified and highly effective at that time. In the early years, teachers in the school were professionals and first-line experts who work in banks or familiar with financial business. Therefore, the students they cultivated could learn to meet practical needs and had the ability to take charge of a department alone in work.
1) Site of Shanghai Banking School at No. 961, Middle Yan’an Road
2) Site of East China Regional Banking School at No. 11, Shengjiadai, Suzhou
3) Site of Shanghai Banking School at No. 62, Mayushan Road (today’s Shuangyang Road)
4) In the 1950’s, the school insisted on the school running philosophy of combining bank and school and learning to meet practical needs in an industrious and economical way. A great number of outstanding financial talents graduated from the school left precious spiritual wealth in the history of the school.Thousands of its graduates were assigned to 17 provinces and cities like Shanghai, Zhejiang, Jiangsu, Xinjiang, Yunnan and Guizhou and made great contribution to the economic and financial construction of New China.
5) Group photo of some graduates who were setting out for the southwestern part of China.
6) The basketball team and volleyball team of the school won good results in the regional inter-school competitions.
7) Zhu Biyuan, held the position as the full-time vice president of East China Regional Banking School in October 1953 and the first principal and party branch secretary of People's Bank of China Shanghai Banking School after the two schools were merged in 1955. The photo is the graduation certificate signed and issued by Principal Zhu Biyuan.
8) The school developed its teaching programs and syllabus and independently compiled textbooks. The photo is a school timetable.
9) Cao Zhenzhao, famous accountant and one of the first professors working in East China Banking School. In his later years, Cao founded Shanghai Banking School Alumni Association of the 1950's
Resumed operation for the first time and ran the school in twists and turns
(Shanghai Finance School 1960--1969)
To satisfy the demand for financial development and the development of banking industry during the adjustment period of national economy, Shanghai Finance Bureau and People's Bank of China Shanghai Branch jointly established Shanghai Finance School. The school operation was discontinued in 1969. During such period, the school had been moved three times and its address had been changed four times.
1) In early 1960, the school borrowed some offices of the finance bureau to run the school in difficult conditions.
2) In early 1961, the school was moved to Punan Middle School and borrowed some buildings from the middle school.
3) In 1962, the school was moved to the former site of the Institute of Foreign Trade. Two years later, the Institute of Foreign Trade resumed, so the school had to move again.
4) In 1964, the school moved to No. 20, East ZhengdanDanzheng Road, Wujiaochang. The school conditions were significantly improved. During the Cultural Revolution, the school buildings were reallocated to the medical instrument plant.
5) From 1960 to 1969, totally five grades of students majoring in finance, banking and foreign exchange had graduated from the school. The first three grades of graduates were mainly assigned to the financial system of the city. Some students pursued advanced studies. The graduates of grade 67 were assigned to the suburb financial system. Most graduates of grade 68 were assigned to the mountainous areas and the countryside in Heilongjiang Province and Anhui Province. The photo is the group photo of some earliest graduates.
THREE. Make every effort to develop after re-opening
In the late 1970’s and the early 1980’s, Lixin and Finance School resumed operation successively. Under the overall background of implementing the reform and opening-up policy and strengthening economic construction, the two schools advanced side by side with the school running level and quality continuously improved.
Joyful rebirth relying on favorable policies
(Shanghai Finance School 1978--1982)
(Shanghai Banking School 1982--1987)
In September 1978, based on Shanghai Financial and Accounting Personnel Training Class set up by the municipal finance bureau in 1972, Shanghai Finance School resumed. At the very beginning, the resumed school was jointly ran by Shanghai Municipal Finance Bureau and the People’s Bank of China Shanghai Branch with centralized leadership and management in turn. The financial system and the bank industry had distinctive industry characteristics, so objectively, there existed two parts in the school, finance and banking. In March 1982, Shanghai Finance School was divided into Shanghai Financial School and Shanghai Banking School.
After the division, the two schools were run in the original school buildings on Kunshan Road at the same time. After the Shanghai Banking School was founded, the natural “blood relationship” between banking school and financial units like banks and insurance companies was further consolidated and developed. In early 1984, after the school buildings on Minxing Road were completed, Shanghai Banking School was moved from kunshan Road to Minxing Road. The school buildings on Minxing Road were much bigger than those on Kunshan Road, so many supporting teaching activities were organized during this period. For example, the finance department ran a “simulated bank” for students to practice banking business.
At the turn between the 1970’s and 1980’s, the main tools used by banks were still “pen” and “abacus”. Good handwriting and proficiency in abacus were basic requirements for financial practitioners. Therefore, the school specially offered calligraphy courses and abacus courses. Through years of persistence and improvement, these two courses had gradually become specialty courses of our school and made certain contributions to the “Three Reliable” (reliable accounting, reliable abacus and reliable reputation) of the school. The calligraphy education of our school is still a feature of our school today.
1) Gate of Shanghai Banking School on Kunshan Road
2) Gate of Shanghai Banking School on Minxing Road
3) School buildings of Shanghai Finance School on Kunshan Road
4) Sports meeting of Shanghai Finance School
5) Students’ abacus relay race in the classroom
6) Students participating in summer social practices
7) Yao Nianci, founder of Shanghai Banking School International Finance Specialty and expert of foreign exchange practices, collectively called “Yao in the South and Su in the North” with Su Zongxiang in Tianjin University of Finance and Economics.
An industry leading school gaining momentum fast
(Shanghai (Advanced) Technical College of Finance 1987--2003)
With the deepening of the reform of the economic system and further implementation of the opening-up policies, Shanghai was in urgent need for a great number of high-quality financial specialists. On December 1, 1987, the State Education Commission officially approved of the establishment of Shanghai Finance College and retained the organizational system of Shanghai Banking School at the same time. On April 1, 1992, the school was renamed Shanghai Finance Junior College .In April 2000, the jurisdiction of the school was transferred from the People's Bank of China to Shanghai Municipal People’s Government. In 2002, the school was moved to Caolu Town, Pudong.
The school development is closely related to the economic construction and financial development of the country. Today’s Shanghai Advanced Technical College of Finance is the results of the development of financial education fitting in with the national economic construction and the development of Shanghai financial industry. Since the year when Shanghai Stock Exchange was founded, our school had successively organized three sessions of “specialized class of securities”, which had cultivated a number of securities specialists to satisfy the urgent demands for financial industry and securities industry. The school always insists on the school-running guidelines of “relaying on banks and serving the finance”. Accordingly, it had formed the “complex and outward” professional building characteristics that “consolidate the foundation and lay emphasis on practices”.
1) Have been cooperating with Niels Brock in running schools for nearly 20 years
2) Actively created conditions and lay foundations for school upgrading
3) On September 9, 2000, the school held the opening ceremony of Pudong campus
4) On June 15, 1988, Shanghai Finance College was formally set up
5) Saw off outstanding graduates of grade 1997 to Tibet and Qinghai
6) Vigorously promoted the teaching reformation and implemented moral education “Four Six” evaluation system
7) Laid emphasis on practical teaching and founded simulated bank
8) Formed specialized classes of securities and delivered talents urgently demanded by the securities industry in China
Took advantage of a favorable situation and advanced integrated development
(Shanghai Finance University 2003-2016)
In September 2003, approved by Shanghai Municipal Peoples Government, Shanghai Finance University was established based on Shanghai Finance College. After having been upgraded to an undergraduate university, the school had gradually formed its school-running philosophy focusing on “high-quality and characteristic undergraduate teaching” and its objectives of cultivating “application-oriented, inter-disciplinary, innovative and internationalized” talents. The school had actively reformed its talent training mode and made great progress in terms of talent training, scientific research, social service, cultural inheritance and innovation and international exchange.
1) On May 20, 2004, Shanghai Finance College held its opening ceremony. Yan Junqi, deputy mayor of Shanghai at that time, attended the ceremony and unveiled the nameplate.
2) Established CEEUSRO alliance and cultivated applied talents in cooperation with the industry.
3) In February 2007, the school held the first representative assembly of Chinese Communist Party Shanghai Finance College and elected the members of the first committee.
4) In 2011, the school passed the evaluation of undergraduate teaching work organized by the Ministry of Education.
5) In January 2014, the school established Shanghai Scientific and Financial Research Institute together with Yangpu District Government
6) Exploited the advantages of the subject and stimulated the construction of Shanghai as an international financial center.
7) The school held a seminar on teaching reformation
8) In October 2008, the Finance Specialty was approved as a pilot for the construction of national level characteristic specialty.
9) In June 2007, the school signed an agreement with Shanghai Municipal Bureau of Sports to jointly build Shanghai (Foil) Fencing Team. The school fencing team has made brilliant achievements.
10) Set up “Nobel Prize Rostrum” and invited Nobel Prize Winner Mundell to give lectures in the school.
11) Jointly held the Sixth National Discipline Construction and Academic Seminar for Financial Mathematics and Financial Engineering with Peking University.
12) To pass on the school spirit, school leaders awarded school flags to students.
13) In 2011, the calligraphy education program of the school won the First Prize of the Construction of Campus Culture in Colleges and Universities. The photo is the “Calligraphy Show”, which was exhibited in the Shanghai World Expo.
14) In May 2012, the school held the alumni association opening ceremony. Liu Yungeng, Shanghai NPC Vice Director, and Liu Hongru, Chairman of China Securities Regulatory Commission, unveiled the nameplate together.
15) In 2007, “Night School for Migrant Young Workers” won the title of Advanced Training Group of the Fifth “Thousand Schools for Millions of Migrant Young Workers” jointly issued by 13 ministries and commissions including Central Committee of the Communist Youth League of China, the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Culture.
The photo is the scene of volunteers coaching young migrant workers.
16) The student choir has made outstanding achievements in competitions home and abroad. The photo is the New Year concert held by the student choir.
17) Taking into account the characteristics of the specialties, the school established students’ development bank to explore a new mode to subsidize and educate students.
Resumed operation to pass on the spirit to a new generation
(Lixin Commerce College 1980-2003)
Under the initiative proposed by Pan Xulun et al, in October 1980, Shanghai Municipal Peoples Government approved of resuming Lixin Commerce School.
With the unremitting endeavor of all parties of Lixin, the school thrived and flourished. In April 1992, the school was renamed “Lixin Commerce College”. In November 1995, the jurisdiction of the school was transferred from Shanghai Financial and Trading Office to Shanghai Municipal Education Commission. In the new century, the school was included into the overall construction of Songjiang University Town after a new round of overall layout adjustment of higher education institutions in Shanghai.
The first graduates from Lixin after its resumed operation were very popular. The school further explored the new mode of employment. It no longer guaranteed the job assignment of graduates, but adopted the method of “two-way selection to link supply with demand”. The school signed employment contract with relevant units to link the talent training with the practical demand of the employer. In the summing-up meeting of job assignment on graduation of universities in 1990, the school won the most votes for the “Best School in Job Assignment of Graduates in cooperation with Employers”.
1) In August 1980, 11 celebrities from social and economic circles, including Pan Xulun, Ma Yihang and Gu Shuzhen, who proposed the initiative to resume Lixin, took a group photo at the gate of Yucai Middle School, where the temporary school buildings were located (from the left: Gu Fuyou, Pan Xulun, Wang Meizheng, Duan Lipei, Gu Shuzhen, Hu Yuansheng, et al.)
2) On October 25, 1980, Pan Xulun delivered a speech on the first opening ceremony of Lixin after its resumed operation.
3) The school employed Lixin alumni, accounting teachers from relevant higher education institutions and accountants from all sectors of society.
4) In August 1983, the first graduation ceremony of Lixin after its resumed operation was held in the hall of Shanghai municipal government. President Pan Xulun made a sincere speech to graduates.
5) In early years after its resumed operation, Lixin had no school buildings and had to borrow idle classrooms of Yucai, Datong, Dongfeng and other middle schools to give lectures to non-resident students at night.
6) In October 1985, Chen Rulong, Deputy Minister of Finance, cut the ribbon at the cornerstone laying ceremony of Lixin’s new school buildings on West Hongshan Road. In September 1987, the new school buildings were completed and put into service.
7) On November 20, 1993, the Cross-Strait Exchange Meeting of Accounting Industry and Accounting Education was held in Lixin.
8) In July 1992, “Lixin Commerce College” was established. Wang Bingqian, former State Councilor and Minister of Finance, inscribed the nameplate of the school.
9) In November 1995, Xie Lijuan, former Deputy Mayor of Shanghai, attended the signing ceremony of school jurisdiction transfer. The jurisdiction of the school was accordingly transferred from Shanghai Financial and Trading Office to Shanghai Municipal Education Commission.
10) Mr. Zhang Weibin, winner of “National Outstanding Teacher”, taught in the classroom.
11) The school attached great importance to the training of students’ practical abilities and organized different types of occupational skill competitions.
Fulfilled the long-cherished wish and improved rapidly
(Shanghai Lixin University of Commerce 2003-2016)
In September 2003, approved by Shanghai Municipal People’s Government, Shanghai Lixin Commerce College was renamed Shanghai Lixin University of Commerce.
The school insisted on the honesty-based school running philosophy, regarded research and practice as equally important, and focused on the cultivation of honest, inter-disciplinary and pragmatic talents with internationalized vision. Taking the graded teaching of “dual languages, dual certificates and dual teachers” as the route, the school laid emphasis on the training of professional abilities and actively explored the reform of personnel training mode.
Since September 2007, Lixin had successively carried out joint cultivation of postgraduates with four universities. In October 2011, Lixin seized the rare opportunity of the “National Program of Cultivating Talents to Satisfy Special Demands of the Country” and had its “National Program of Cultivating Talents to Satisfy Special Demands of the Country - Cultivation of Master of Auditing” approved by the authority. It accordingly became the one of the first universities to offer education of master of auditing.
1) In March 2004, Yin Yicui，Vice Secretary of the Shanghai Municipal Committee at that time， attended the opening ceremony of Shanghai Lixin University of Commerce.
2) The school seized the opportunity to obtain the qualification to cultivate postgraduates in 2012.
3) In November 2011, the school passed the evaluation of undergraduate teaching work organized by the Ministry of Education.
4) 2005 “Year of Education Quality”
5) 2006 “Year of Discipline Construction”
6) 2007 “Year of Talent Construction”
7) 2008 “Year of Campus Culture Construction”
8) Identified the school-running orientation and consolidated the foundation for teaching
9) In September 2006, the school held the first CCP Member Representative Assembly.
10) In May 2005, the school held the meeting on moral education and comprehensively implemented the spirit of central file No. 16.
11) The school attached importance to the employment of graduates.
12) In October 2012, the seminar on the construction of characteristic financial specialties of the Ministry of Education was held in our university.
13) Cooperated with the industry and enterprises to strengthen the cultivation of practical talents.
14) In September 2007, the school signed industry-university-research cooperation agreement with Songjiang District People’s Government.
15) Actively carried out international exchange and cooperation
16) Set up platform for the growth of young teachers
17) In May 2012, the school was selected by the Ministry of Education as a “National Model University on the Employment of Graduates”.
18) In 2008, students of our university won the Silver Award in the “Challenge Cup” Chinese University Students’ Innovative Undertaking Competition.
19) Song Zhen from our university became a “Student Touching the Campus” in Shanghai from 2006 to 2011
20) Students’ Art Troupe won the First Prize in the Second National University Students’ Artistic Performance.
21) The program of “Water Area Civilized Behavior” of our university won the Special Award in the Third Shanghai “Knowledge and Action Cup” Social Practice Competition.
22) In June 2015, the school held the ceremony to unveil the Sculpture of “Teacher-Student Friendship” and to pass down the culture of Lixin
23) In 2010, the volunteers of our university worked for the activity of “Good Night, World Expo Volunteers” in Shanghai World Expo Garden.
24) Shanghai “Credibility Culture Campus Journey” activity undertaken by our university won the Second Prize of the “Outstanding Culture Constructing Programs of Higher Education Institutions” awarded by the Ministry of Education.
25) In 2008, President Xie Lijuan of Shanghai Red Cross Society took a group photo with the volunteers of our university.
26) The school held the “Humanities Rostrum” to improve students’ cultural awareness.
27) In May 2015, the Military Band of the Chinese People's Liberation Army held a special concert in our university.
FOUR. Form powerful combination to forge ahead
(Shanghai Lixin University of Accounting and Finance 2016- )
To better serve the “Five Centers” construction of Shanghai and stimulate the scientific development of Shanghai higher education, Shanghai Municipal Committee and Municipal Government decided to integrate the school-running resources of former Shanghai Lixin University of Commerce and Shanghai Finance University and establish Shanghai Lixin University of Accounting and Finance. After its foundation, the university insisted on moral education and connotative development, aimed to build a high-level university, made great efforts to build a socialist financial university with Chinese characteristics, and made new progress in all aspects.
Set sail and strove to be strong
The school held high the banner of Xi Jinping Thought on Socialism with Chinese Characteristics for a New Era, fully applied the guidelines of the 19th National Congress of the Communist Party of China and the National University Ideological and Political Work Meeting, remained true to our original aspiration, kept its mission firmly in mind and build a first-rate financial university in China.
1) The municipal party committee and municipal government cared about the development of the new university. The photo is the scene of Weng Tiehui, former Deputy Mayor of Shanghai, guiding the work of Lixin.
2) On April 25, 2017, the school held the ideological and political work meeting to fully apply the guidelines of the Central File No. 31 and the National University Ideological and Political Work Meeting.
3) In September 2016, the school held the first party and political cadre meeting and middle-level cadre training meeting.
4) The school carried out education activities themed on “remaining true to our original aspiration and keeping our mission firmly in mind”. The photo is the site of the First Conference of the CPC to review the party oath.
5) The school strengthened the construction of grass-roots party organizations. The photo is the scene to commend a number of party organizations and party members.
Lixin has improved the talent training system focusing on students’ development, promoted the education-oriented quality improvement project, reformed the training mode of innovative and application-oriented talent, deepened the synergistic education mechanism that integrates industry and teaching, and cultivated high quality application-oriented talents with “integrity, practical abilities, innovation consciousness and international vision”.
1) The school laid emphasis on ceremonial education and passed down the spirit and culture of Lixin.
2) Carried out ideological and political reform of courses and built brand courses, namely Credit China and Finance China.
3) Held the opening ceremony for grade 2017 students
4) Carried out activities to commemorate the 200th anniversary of Marx’s birth and developed young Marxists
5) Held 2017 Employment Summing-up Meeting
6) Carried out “Face-to-Face Communication with Secretary” and “Afternoon Tea with President” activities at regular intervals and listened to the heartfelt wishes of teachers and students
7) Lixin signed memorandum of understanding with Pudong New Area Auditing Bureau
8) The feedback meeting of experts who evaluate whether the undergraduate programs reach the standards
9) Lixin and GE jointly set up a “University-Enterprise Cooperation Class”
10) Lixin held the industry-university-research cooperation and exchange meeting for “operation, mutual benefits and education”.
11) Lixin started its internship program in its accounting industry-university-research base.
Lixin has built a system of scientific development and social services to satisfy social demands, emphasized national strategies to satisfy the major demands for the economic and social development of Shanghai, and formed the application-based policy-making consulting advantages with characteristic of “solving significant and practical problems”. Its teachers’ series of investigation reports have obtained written instructions from the leaders of the municipal committee and municipal government.
1) The first specialty of financial technologies in China was born in our university.
2) On October 21, 2016, the academic committee of Lixin was founded and the first plenary session was founded.
3) On September 21, 2017, Doctor Richard N. Cooper, professor of the Department of Economics of Harvard University and former Vice President of the U.S. was employed by Lixin as a visiting professor to give academic reports.
4) Lixin vigorously strengthened the discipline construction and developed first-rate disciplines.
5) Lixin held the Seminar on Response to “The Belt and Road Initiatives” Trade, Investment & Business Environment.
Lixin aims to build a “high-level, application-oriented and internationalized” faculty, focuses on the implementation of “30 Measures on Talents”, carries out the program of “talents developing strategy” to advance the reform of personnel distribution system centered on the sort management of teachers, and constructs a faulty construction system with teachers’ development as the core.
1) The school actively implemented the guidelines of Shanghai Talents’ Meeting to attract talents.
2) The school actively promoted the internationalized construction of faculty.
3) The school created good environment for outstanding talents to stand out.
4) The school held young teachers’ classroom teaching competition.
The school has insisted on the open school-running, implemented internationalized development strategies, established cooperative relationship with over 120 universities and research institutions abroad, and carried out international accountant qualification training in cooperation with professional institutions like ACCA and AIA. At present, Lixin has over 50 Sino-foreign cooperation and exchange programs, 4 Sino-foreign cooperation programs in running schools and nearly 1,000 international students, including over 300 degree-oriented students.
1) ACCA President visited our school and signed a cooperative agreement.
2) Chairman Leslie Bradley of the American Institute of Accountants (AIA) visited our school.
3) The school focused on the cultivation of international vision and supported students’ studying and exchange activities overseas.
4) In 2018, the overseas students of our school won the First Prize in the Third “National Sunshine Sport Game and Culture Experience Camp for International Students Studying in China” Shanghai qualification trials.
5) In 2018, Lixin successfully undertook the conference of the International Consulting Network (ICON).
6) In 2015, Lixin established the Confucius Classroom in cooperation with Denmark International Business College. The photo is the business forum held in the Confucius Classroom.
Lixin has insisted on the objective of “constructing a university culture system based on integrity”, relied on the honesty education mode with “Six Processes and Six Objectives” and built a 3D honesty education system with full coverage. Lixin made great efforts to blend the outstanding traditional Chinese culture, revolutionary culture and socialist advanced culture into the whole process of talent training and achieved good results in the cultural construction and the artistic and physical education.
1) Lixin established the academic seminar on the credibility culture of colleges and universities and took the lead in building national association of credibility culture education of colleges and universities.
2) Lixin held the unveiling ceremony of the bronze statue of Xian Xinghai.
3) For over 20 years, students of our school have insisted on the supported teaching activities in old base areas.
4) The school strengthened the construction of culture bases like museum.
5) Fencing culture has become an important constituent part of the university culture. The photo is the Fencing Classic of World-Famous Universities held in Lixin.
6) “Xinghai Art Troupe” symphony orchestra of Lixin won the first prize in the Fifth College Students’ Art Exhibition.
Version for Leaders and Distinguished Guests:
I have just introduced the 90 years of our university. As a student docent, I have gradually formed deeper understanding of the history of our university. I’m deeply proud of the achievements made by our university and feel proud of being a member of Lixin. Of course, in the future development of our university, we’ll surely be confronted with many challenges. I hope all leaders and distinguished guests will offer us support as always. We’ll make better achievements and deliver a satisfactory result by all means. Thank you for your visit.
Version for Students:
After having experienced the 90 years history of Lixin, I hope you will keep the good traditions of Lixin firmly in mind and take over the relay baton from our predecessors to create brilliant achievements of our university again. Today’s museum interpretation is over. Thank you for your visit.